Sunday, February 21, 2010

Super Saver - Publix

This is my first "Super Saver" post, and I have to say, I'm quite proud of it.

Yesterday, I made my usual Publix run. Here's what I bought:

4 Large cans of Hunt's Tomatoes
2 Jars of Classico Sauce
4 Cans of Green Giant Vegetables
2 Boxes of Premium Muffin Mix
3 Cans (do you call them "cans"?) of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
1 Box of Multi-grain Cheerios
1 Publix Frozen Yogurt (my husband's favorite)
8 Yoplait Yogurts
1 Bag of Publix Chocolate Chips (for my adventures in baking)
1 Publix Orange Juice
3 Bananas
1 Yellow Squash
1 Zucchini
1 lb. Plum Tomatoes
1 lb. Red Bell Peppers
1 Bag of Apples
1 Bag of Potatoes
2 Bags of Salad Mix
1/2 Italian Loaf
1 Multi-grain Baguette
2 Packages of Perdue Chicken Breast
1 London Broil
1 lb. Ground Sirloin
1 lb. Tilapia Fillets
3/4 lb. Deli Turkey Breast
1 Package Eggland's Best Cage-Free Eggs
2 Doughnuts (those were just for me. A reward for getting up so early!)

Regular-Priced Total: $116.46
Price I Paid: $65.58!

How did I do it? Well, almost all of the items I bought (aside from the doughnuts of course) were already on sale, so I saved $33.87 up front.

I also used $8.00 in store coupons from Publix, along with $8.84 in manufacturer coupons.

Total Saved: $50.88

My husband couldn't believe I only paid $65 for the enormous pile of groceries on our dining table. If I can impress him, (a known coupon snubber, though he's starting to like them more and more as the savings piles up), I can impress anyone.


*Tip of the Day*
The key to amazing savings is STACKING - adding coupons to items that are already on sale. For instance, Classico Tomato sauce was B1G1 (buy one get one free) this week, making them $2.59 for two jars - an excellent deal! However, simply by doing a search for "Classico coupons," I found a $1 off two jars coupon on the Classico website. My final price for two jars of Classico was thus $1.59, or 80 cents each - not too shabby!

Another example - Multi-Grain Cheerios were on sale for $1.99 this week (and whenever cereal is on sale, take a good look and see if you need it. Cereal is often quite expensive!) That's a good bargain on its own, but add a $1 off coupon I had specifically for Multi-Grain Cheerios, and the price of the box dropped to 99 cents!


Tonight, I'm making Spaghetti with Spinach and Turkey Meatballs. It's oh-so delicious! I'll include the recipe and pictures later!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment