Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Buy" for Books Online for FREE

Okay, so perhaps the title of this post is a little misleading, but I really do have a great and FREE way to shop for books online and get them without paying a cent.

First of all, I love to read. Absolutely LOVE it. Now, my hobby would have cost us a ton of money if it wasn't for one, amazing place where I can read all the books I want and never have to pay a cent: the library. I remember when I was young, I was completely baffled by the idea that I could go into this building, pick out as many books as my little heart desired, and the people that owned them trusted me enough to bring them back. Even in my youth, I recognized a good deal!

Here's one problem with the library, though - new releases are rarely available, and many excellent books are already checked out. So what do you do? Give up, and make a trip down to the bookstore to buy a book you might not even like? No way!

Instead, spend some time shopping for the books you want online. Maybe check out one of your favorite bookstore's websites (I love Barnes and Noble.com), where everything is presented nicely and it's easy to find books you might like. Add all of the ones you like or might like to your cart.

Next, don't check out! (I know it's tempting.) Instead, in a separate browser, bring up your library's website. Almost all libraries I know of have a request system, where you can place a hold on a book that has already been checked out, or has not been acquired by the library yet. Using the list of books in your cart, go through and request all of them from your library. (Some might even be on the shelf waiting for you!) Sure, you don't get the instant gratification you would if you went to the bookstore, but your books would probably be ready for you at the library by the time they would have been delivered by the bookstore's online site. Plus, it will be completely free!

I love "shopping" for books this way! Often, I'll bring up the bestseller list, and request many of them from the library. In a couple of weeks, when the previous reader is done with them, I'll have my turn! Plus, it really feels like shopping. I just got an e-mail saying a book I had requested, Jamie's Food Revolution, was ready to be picked up. It just came out recently, and its retail price is $35 - but it'll be free for me! This is also a great way to try out books you might think you'll like. Why buy a $30 cookbook if you haven't even tried any of the recipes? I'm not against buying books in general, and have a pretty good sized collection, but this is a great way to try new finds and read some excellent, popular books without spending a dime!

No comments:

Post a Comment